Rollercoaster Mum: Weekday Quickie - Walking to School

ShareThis

Monday 12 September 2011

Weekday Quickie - Walking to School

I have always liked walking the kids to school and nursery but while working I often couldn't as I simply didn't have the time to walk to school and walk home again to get the car to drive to work. So in my newly unemployed status I am determined to walk to school every day if humanly possible.

We live just over half a mile away from the school (0.6miles on our car's mileometer) so it's not that far but a decent walk for small children. However on opening the curtains this morning I very nearly did a u-turn - all that wind and rain but no, I was determined to start as I mean to go on. So walk we did - and it wasn't as bad as it looked once you got out there!

What is shocking is the number of people that do drive unnecessarily. This morning for instance we were just passing a house (pegging it as usual as I am always on the verge of being late - punctuality has never been my strong point!) about 300- 400 metres from the school (you can see the school from there) and out drove a mum with her kids. I hmmphed but gave her the benefit of the doubt (she might be off to work or somewhere afterwards) until when walking home I saw her drive back into her driveway. An entirely unnecessary journey, wasting petrol, contributing to greenhouse gases and not keeping her kids fit - all because of a bit of rain.. The ridiculous thing is that from that distance it's probably quicker to walk anyway than load the kids in the car, park, get them out again etc - why do people do it?

Sorry bit of a soapbox this one!

4 comments:

  1. Well done you! People are shockingly lazy sometimes aren't they?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea! Save money, save hassle, use legs is what I would say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. here, here mammasaver! Should make me fitter too - yay!

    ReplyDelete

Apologies for the word verification but I am getting so many spam comments I have had to activate it for a while. Thank you for bearing with me and commenting - comments really do make my day :)

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...