Rollercoaster Mum: National Poetry Day

ShareThis

Thursday 4 October 2012

National Poetry Day


Apparently it is National Poetry Day today - now I'm partial to a bit of poetry, nothing complicated, just the simple stuff. I can't write poems to save my life but I do like reading them and I'm pleased to say the girls do too. I have read simple poems to them since they were quite small and they both have poetry books which are regularly brought out for a bit of bedtime reading.

In fact it's been quite a literary type of week for them as it is also Children's Book Week which they have done in quite a big way at our school this year (no dressing up though thank god!) They have had a visiting storyteller, a poet and a children's author as well as inviting parents in to read their favourite stories. The girls have been really excited about it which can only be a good thing.

Anyway back to the poetry, as I can't write the things I thought I would share one of our favourites with you instead. It is very short and simple by the wonderful A.A.Milne creator of Winnie the Pooh. We have both his collections of poems and the girls love them - especially Little Miss Sunshine, her favourite is 'Buckingham Palace', but this is mine.

The End

When I was One,
I had just begun.

When I was Two, 
I was nearly new.

When I was Three, 
I was hardly Me.

When I was Four, 
I was not much more.

When I was Five, 
I was just alive.

But now I am Six, I'm as clever as clever. 
So I think I'll be six now for ever and ever.


Oh to be six for ever and ever!

3 comments:

  1. I love that poem too, if only we could be 6 forever and ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Six is my very favourite age. My last six year old is happening this month, and I'm going to miss his birthday because he'll be in Scotland with his daddy. Sniffle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love this! My eldest is three so I can't imagine what he'll be like at six. I can't even imagine it. I loved being six though. Some of my best memories are from that age.

    ReplyDelete

Apologies for the word verification but I am getting so many spam comments I have had to activate it for a while. Thank you for bearing with me and commenting - comments really do make my day :)

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...