Rollercoaster Mum: A poem for UNESCO World Poetry Day

ShareThis

Friday 21 March 2014

A poem for UNESCO World Poetry Day

I can't write poems to save my life but I do like reading them and I think they are underrated as a form of literature. I have tried to introduce them to the girls and we have several children's poetry books. They do like having them read to them so I hope I am succeeding in passing on my love for poetry. In the light of my inability to write poetry I am sharing a spring poem that I found today that cheered me up. Good on the UN for making 21st March World Poetry Day and I shall be reading some tonight to the girls at bedtime in honour of the day.

Daisy Time
by Marjorie Pickthall

See, the grass is full of stars, 
Fallen in their brightness;
Hearts they have of shining gold, 
Rays of shining whiteness.

Buttercups have honeyed hearts, 
Bees they love the clover, 
But I love the daisies' dance
All the meadows over.

Blow, O blow, you happy winds, 
Singing summer's praises,
Up the field and down the field
A-dancing with the daisies. 

7 comments:

  1. This is a lovely poem! Really makes me smile :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a lovely poem! Really makes me smile :O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely poem and so perfect for the first day of Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is funny because I never think to read poetry to the kids but it is something that I should do more of! Thanks for sharing a lovely poem!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely poem. I didn't realise that it was World Poem Day today x #blogclub

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is delightful! I'm going to show this to Austin tomorrow - I think he'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a lovely spring picture in my head now of daisies a dancing! Thank you! #blogclub

    ReplyDelete

Apologies for the word verification but I am getting so many spam comments I have had to activate it for a while. Thank you for bearing with me and commenting - comments really do make my day :)

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...