Rollercoaster Mum: How Does Your Garden Grow? The Surprise Edition

ShareThis

Wednesday 16 April 2014

How Does Your Garden Grow? The Surprise Edition

Surprise - why surprise? Well to be honest I hadn't planned a garden post during the holidays, partly due to the lack of time and partly because the garden is in a bit of a lull stage. Things are growing but the spring flowers are mostly gone and the summer stuff hasn't really got started yet but as we were carless last week I spend a couple of days pottering around in the garden whilst the girls played and I just couldn't resist a few pictures.
stepped herb bed
First up is the herb bed which we put inlast year. I realise this doesn't look a lot different to when we first did it but it looked tatty over the winter, some thyme had dies, the parsley and sage had overgrown so I got to and gave it a bit of a face lift for the new growing year. The girls alpine strawberries are looking quite good too! 
garlic growing in raised bed
As far as our mini veg plot the only thing really growing a the moment is the garlic which I planted a few weeks ago. We have planted some peas, parsnips and broad beans out and these are beginning to poke through. We just have to hope the damned neighbourhood cats don't dig them up whilst pooing in our veg beds (something they seem to do regularly and is just gross) Anyone got any ideas how to keep cats out of the garden and away from our beds?? 


cherry and apple tree blossom
I couldn't resist some blossom pictures. The plum blossom is pretty much over but there is still some on the cherry (top left), the apple tree is just coming out (bottom right) and the Viburnam (I think that's what it is ) is also so pretty and smells gorgeous too. 
yellow daffodil flower
Most of the daffs are over now but this one was still looking lovely last week, nodding it's yellow head in the sun. 



pink Elephant's ears flowers, Bergenia Cordifolia, elephant-eared saxifrage
And out in the front garden a few things are happening to. We got this plant a couple of year's ago at the village plant sale. I vaguely knew it produced pink flowers but this is the first year we have had any and they are rather lovely. I have found out is called variously elephant-eared saxifrage, Elephant's Ears or Bergenia Cordifolia. 

shapes in nature, young Aquilegia leaves
I love the shapes and patterns you can find in nature - and along with my Silent Sunday tulip I took this - the leaf buds of an Aquilegia - beautiful. 
Bluebell flower bells
I love Bluebells in the woods but to be honest I'm not so keen in my garden as they spread everywhere - however these do look rather pretty in the front garden as long as I keep them under control.



drama inside a red tulip flower
And for those who haven't seen my Silent Sunday I couldn't resist reposting this one - the inside of a red tulip from our front garden - again amazing patterns in nature. (Sorry if you saw it on Sunday!)

Joining in as always with the awesome Mammasaurus and all the other lovely gardening peeps over at 'How Does my Garden Grow':


Mammasaurus and How Does Your Garden Grow?


19 comments:

  1. these all flowers are so beautiful, our daffodils didnt blossom yet and i have a feeling they wont(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what an aquilegia is but it sure looks cool. :) #blogclub

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent photos! I love the blossom and flowers that are everywhere now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bluebells do indeed look very beautiful and as for those pesky cats - I have used wooden skewers (you knwo the cheap BBq sticks) in between the veg as they do not like obstacles and also orange peel. Mich x #blogclub

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love taking a peek in others' gardens as it gives me some inspiration for mine which is just a mound of mud at the moment! Love the flowers x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant pictures, I love all the colours. We need more colours in our garden but then we did kill things....
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your garden looks beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've got bluebells all over the garden too - we took out 2 huge patches of it before they started flowering, but I think they may need another thinning session in the autumn! Apparently cats hate lavender and rosemary so maybe think about planting those along the edging of your beds x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Drooling over the macro shots! They are so awesome! #HDYGG

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the way you've set up your herb garden. Very neat. Patterns in nature are amazing. I don't blame you for sneaking the tulip in agin. Fabulous! (length of hose deters cats. They think its a snake. Funny to watch when they discover it. Also half filled lemonade bottles on their side.) #HDYGG

    ReplyDelete
  11. lovely blossom and i love that you have sleepers to make your herb garden how super and posh and a great place to sit and weed #hdygg

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I LOVE your staggered herb garden! I have a raised bed herb garden that the hubby built for me and I love popping outside to cut fresh herbs as I cook x #HDYGG

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your herb garden looks fabulous, and I love those blossom shots. I've just ordered a viburnum and am waiting for is to be delivered as I know the scent can be gorgeous. And that last tulip looks incredible - great shot x

    ReplyDelete
  14. i really love your herb bed right by the steps. and you have some really lovely colors going on. that last shot is a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So lovely - and your strawberries are going good guns here! Colour everywhere - making me smile. Cats wise we bought a 'CatterScatter' at our last house. It attaches to a hosepipe and you stake it in the ground and then it automatically fires a burst of water jets when anything walks in front of it. A bit like a hardcore power-sprinkler that goes off with movement! I was forever forgetting it was there and getting soaked but it worked a trick!

    Thanks for joining in again - have a lovely Easter ! x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful photos hunnie.... I have bluebells in my garden, that i seem to have more of this year than last :/ ooppps I love your Last Tulip Photo! love all the colours in it :) #HDYGG

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your herb patch. I wish we had a garden to do just this. The blossoms are beautiful. #HDYGG

    ReplyDelete
  18. i really love the tiered herb garden!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think your garden looks rather nice. The leaf bud looks particularly pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Apologies for the word verification but I am getting so many spam comments I have had to activate it for a while. Thank you for bearing with me and commenting - comments really do make my day :)

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...